Saturday, March 31, 2012

My March FMQ Challenge

Wow, I had a great quilting month!  I finished two quilts - a double-sized T-shirt quilt (that I've already posted about), and a "somewhere between crib and twin"-sized quilt for my great nephew (pictures coming soon!).

I didn't get much practice in on Ann Fahl's tutorial.  I thought I'd do some practice pieces this week, since I had finished the two projects that I had deadlines for. That didn't happen.

Luckily, on my quilts, I had used two of her suggested patterns.  One small square with stars.

stars and loops on the T-shirt quilt

And the entire twin quilt with loop-de-loops.

loop-de-loops on the crib/twin quilt

The reason I didn't get any practice pieces done this week is because my machine decided it wanted to make bird's nests instead.
    
bird's nests

I don't know why this is happening.  The machine worked fine quilting the twin/crib quilt.  And it worked fine when I sewed the binding on it.  But a day later I can't get it to work for anything.  Maybe (hopefully!) it's telling me it wants to retire and it's time for me to get a new sewing machine. :)  If it is, I'm going to need to find one soon so I don't miss out on April's FMQ Challenge.

Happy Quilting!

Kathy

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy, I guessing the thread nests are on the bottom side. Most times when a machine suddenly starts doing this instead of sewing it is not threaded properly. I suggest rethreading it top and bottom double checking the manual to make sure it is threaded correctly. I once took a machine in for service only find out that the top thread was not in between the tension disks! Oooooops it was a little embarrassing. If rethreading top and bottom doesn't fix the problem, change the needle, if that doesn't work, change the thread. Some machines are fussy, if none of this fixes the problem, check the tension screw on the bobbin casing, if it really loose, then it needs tightening with a little screw driver. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tammy,thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, I've done all that, many multiple times, already, and it hasn't helped. The only thing I haven't done is check the screw in the bobbin casing. I'll give that a shot.

    ReplyDelete